“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” Benjamin Franklin knew what he was talking about when he uttered those words. And they are as true today as they were back then–it is easier to stop something from happening in the first place than to repair the damage after it has happened.
There are lots of situations in life where planning ahead can avoid disaster:
- Fill the car with gas before the gauge registers Empty
- Burp the baby during feeding instead of waiting until all eight ounces are consumed
- Balance your checking account for real instead of just running numbers in your head
- Secure the leash on the dog before you open the front door
- Use sunscreen liberally instead of trying to tame a sunburn after the fact
- Winterize your garage before bad weather sets in
How to winterize your garage
Tailored Living® knows all about garages and that in the wintertime when days are shorter, nights are longer, temperatures plummet, and rain, snow, sleet and hail come down, an unprepared garage can sometimes become a liability. It’s too cold and dark, things are disorganized and cluttered and…when did that family of raccoons move in?
Take time now to get your garage ready for the challenges of winter and your efforts will pay dividends over the next few months! With preparation and organization, including custom garage cabinets, PremierOne® flooring and custom accessories, your garage will perform as user-friendly, functional living space, making life easier for you and your family.
- Reduce the cold with an insulated garage door and add insulation to your garage walls. Check the weather stripping on windows as well as the door leading into the house to eliminate drafts. You could even get some overhead garage doors to ensure your garage is properly insulated.
- Wrap water pipes to prevent freezing–such as to washing machine, utility sink or other-with polyethylene insulation tubes, PVC pipe wrap, automatic heat tape or newspaper, wrapped 1/4″ thick and secured with duct tape.
- Place rugs or mats in front of the connecting door to the house to eliminate tracking in the debris of winter: dirt, wet, snow, mud and de-icing chemicals. For steps, use a runner or texturize the surface to prevent slips and falls.
- Screen over any entry points to stop varmints (looking for a place to hibernate or set up housekeeping for the winter) from getting into your garage, attic or house.
- Clear and repair rain gutters to avoid over-flow; clear out debris and make sure gutters are water-tight. Companies like Clean Pro Gutter Cleaning offer gutter cleaning services that can help to repair or maintain the function of this system so that you don’t have to.
- Safety check garage door openers: oil moving parts, check hinges and supply fresh batteries in all remotes or keypads. If you find it’s damaged then look for a repair company like Tip Top Garage Doors LLC to come and fix them.
- Get your furnace serviced and the filters changed so you’ll get maximum performance when you need it.
- Increase the lighting in the garage so there are no dark corners around work benches, the laundry area or in cabinets, making it difficult to find things or get tasks done.
- Give the garage floor a thorough cleaning and it should be good until Spring. Place garage floor mats where you park the car/cars to absorb de-icing products that stick to your car’s tires and to protect the floors from snow tire chains.
- Keep a few days’ supply of fireplace logs in the garage so you don’t always have to traipse out to the big woodpile.
- Have salt, ashes or sand readily available to de-ice the driveway and walkways; store in air-tight containers close to the garage door so it’s quick to grab.
- Keep the family’s winter sports equipment organized and easy to find with custom racks for skis, snowboards, sleds, ice skates, etc.
Custom garage organization
Tailored Living is ready to help you design a garage that will take you from season to season, all year long.
- A customized system of floor-to-ceiling garage storage cabinets (with the option of locking doors) will maintain all your possessions in an organized fashion so you’ll never have to dig through piles or go on extensive treasure hunts again!
- Wall hanging systems like Slatwall PVC panels or steel Gridwall Racks can organize tools, sporting equipment, gardening supplies and more.
- Countertops and work surfaces can be integrated with upper and lower cabinets around the washer and dryer, as a workbench or a crafts and gift wrapping center.
- Overhead storage racks can capture unused space for seldom-used or bulky items like Christmas trees, sleeping bags and ice chests.
- PremierOne® decorative garage floor coatings or PremierTrax interlocking tiles will create an industry-tough, easy-care surface that keeps your garage clean and safe.
Don’t wait until the first winter storm to protect your home. Now is the perfect time to winterize your garage to ensure against weather issues that can cause problems. And if a complete garage overhaul is appealing, your local Tailored Living designer can help you maximize your space for functionality and a fabulous new look. Call 866-641-8958 (US) or 866-973-8221 (CAN) today to schedule a FREE, in-home consultation or go online to www.tailoredliving.com to find a designer near you.