Halloween marks the beginning of the “official” holiday season, paving the way for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, Winter Solstice, Kwanzaa and New Year’s Day. The opportunities for parties and entertaining are limitless and usually bring up the issue of where overnight guests will sleep if you don’t have the luxury of a guest bedroom with mattresses made with memory foam. Shifting the kids around and doubling up in bedrooms is one solution, but that fast shuffle can also cause grumbling. We are fortunate enough to have a king mattress in our spare room, making this a little bit easier. Sometimes just having a good bed to sleep in can really make a big difference when you’re guest stay over. It’s important to make sure that everyone can sleep on the best mattress, so if you can afford to get a new one then do it!
If you know company is coming for the holidays, installing a Murphy Bed now could solve all the problems of where to put sleepy people by turning any room into a dual-purpose guest room. A Tailored Living® designer can help you find the perfect place in your home for a transforming Murphy Bed, leaving you to concentrate on everyone having a good time!
If you think you don’t have any place to install a Murphy Bed, consider these popular options:
- In a home office – work space during the day transforms to guest bedroom at night.
- In a small room – a tiny bedroom or loft can still have play or living space during the day. Maybe there’s room for one bed but not two, so a Murphy Bed that folds up allows for space flexibility during the day and sleeping for two at night.
- In a multi-use room – during the day the bed is tucked away and the normal room function is not impacted whether it’s a family room, playroom, craft or sewing room.
Custom-comfort Murphy Beds for the way you live
With Tailored Living, your Murphy Bed is custom designed to accommodate your space. Murphy Beds come in traditional bed sizes–twin/single, full/double, queen or king sizes—to fit any coil spring mattress up to 10” thick with the Regular Height Legs or up to 12” thick with the Extended Legs.
- There’s no need to make and unmake the bed each day, the blankets and pillows fold up into the cabinet along with the bed.
- Fold up the bed and the room is ready for its regular daytime activities; you don’t see it until you need it.
- No need for skimpy, under-sized mattresses; your family and guests can sleep in the same comfort as on a traditional bed.
- The patented steel or aluminum bed frames with spring-loaded mechanism ensure smooth and easy opening and closing, giving years of worry-free operation.
- Vertical or side-tilt (not in king size) orientation and Desk Bed styles available.
Beautiful cabinetry to match your home’s decor
A Murphy Bed can be designed with minimal cabinetry or incorporated into an entire wall design. The cabinet is approximately 16” deep when closed so it doesn’t take up a lot of space. Customizable with a variety of cabinet colors and finishes, your Murphy Bed will match your home’s existing style and décor. Additional features to personalize your bed include:
- Decorative moldings—base, crown, face mount and vertical trim moldings
- Glass-inset doors—clear, frosted or textured glass options
- Integrated lighting—LED track, LED Puck or Ribbon LED style lights
- Adjustable shelves
- Hardware in three standard finishes, Polished Chrome, Matte Nickel and Oil Brushed Bronze
Enhance togetherness with a little separation
After spending a busy, activity-packed day with family and friends, some quiet time in the evening is appreciated. Kids are more inclined to have fun with the camp atmosphere of crowding together in sleeping bags but, for the adults, having designated space where they can relax and recharge will make every day more enjoyable. Think like a hotel owner and create an atmosphere for your guests that you would enjoy.
- Clear away the clutter. Move out any non-essentials. Store away the everyday “stuff” of a dual-purpose room (i.e., home office supplies) and free up usable space for your guests, including closet (with empty hangers) and a drawer or two so they can unpack and not live out of a suitcase.
- Light up the space. Be sure there is sufficient light for reading, computer use and maneuvering around in the room. A bedside table lamp and a night light are helpful in unfamiliar surroundings, especially if the bathroom is down the hall. Have a few interesting magazines or books in the room as well as a comfortable chair and afghan for cozy comfort.
- Use fresh linens.Fresh bed linens are essential. Make the bed up just before the visit and have extra blankets and both soft and firm pillows to allow for individual preference.
- Provide extra toiletries. No one wants to snoop around for supplies, so be sure the bathroom is stocked with extra toilet paper and tissues. Create a welcome basket with shampoo, soap, new toothbrush, toothpaste, feminine products, shaving cream, disposable razor—things they might have forgotten to pack. If sharing a bathroom, put the welcome basket in the guest room along with their towels and wash cloths so there’s no question that these items are for their use.
Don’t wait until your guests are on the way to figure out where they’ll sleep! Call 866-641-8958 (U.S.) or 866-973-8221 (Canada) today to schedule a FREE, in-home consultation or go online to www.TailoredLiving.com to find the designer nearest you. They will help you find the perfect Murphy Bed solution to your need for extra sleeping space for the holidays and every day. We are also experts with whole home storage and organization solutions for custom closets, garage storage cabinets, garage flooring, home office design, laundry rooms and more.