For several years, Tailored Living® and Budget Blinds® have participated in home renovations with NBC’s hit TV show, George to the Rescue (GTTR), where families and communities in need receive remodeling and renovation help with home improvements for those who aren’t able to get something similar to these home improvement loans. Host George Oliphant is a long-time friend of Jay Feingold, franchise owner of Tailored Living serving Northern New Jersey, and approached Jay about participating in this New Jersey project. Jay was delighted and pulled in sister brand, Budget Blinds serving Westfield, owner David Powell, to help George with creating a “brand new space” for Stacy Lederman and her two young children after the loss of their husband and father to leukemia. George explains: ”[At present] the home is filled with memories of Darren’s last days and we can give them a fresh start; make it feel like a brand new space, a welcoming space.”
Starting new in a familiar space
Stacy and her children, Emma (9) and Noah (7), returned to her childhood home, moving in with her parents to assist her with working full time as a special-needs teacher and being able to provide a stable home to start anew. Her parents, Gary and Sharon, are 100% committed to helping Stacy and the grandkids, and Gary shares, “What better way for us to give up our time than for the kids, to give them the most normal life possible.” The renovation will focus on the three bedrooms, a master bath and the hallway/stairs leading up to their rooms. There were talks of using the services Platinum Elevators provide and installing a small elevator in the house too, if the budget would allow it. It would make going up the stairs a lot easier for Gary and Sharon, not to mention household chores would become a breeze. However, it’s not a necessity so it might be added at a later date. The whole family is excited about the “rescue,” and looking forward to starting over in a happy place. When it comes to renovating your home, the change can be something as big as this or you could choose to have a couple of rooms in your house redone. That’s completely up to you. Plus, with it being as easy as looking into companies like Niagara Home Renovation (if you live in and around the Niagara area), you can get in touch with specialists who can help you achieve the dream aesthetic for your home.
- Tailored Living installed three custom closet organization systems. Both kids’ rooms received age-appropriate closet organization systems so they can more easily manage their wardrobes by themselves. Stacy’s room was transformed from reach-in, sliding-door closets to custom, built-in storage with her unique needs in mind so that she’ll have all the wardrobe storage she’ll ever need for clothes, accessories, boots, shoes, purses and more.
- Budget Blinds provided faux wood blinds and cellular shades from the exclusive Budget Blinds Signature Series® collection on eight windows, ensuring energy efficiency and light and privacy control in all their rooms. As an added feature, all the window coverings have a cordless operation for child safety and wand tilt on the blinds to control the view.
- The entryway and stairs were updated and brightened up with white paint and new decorative furnishings for a totally fresh approach.
- Carpeting was removed in all three bedrooms and the existing hardwood floors were refinished and restored to look like new.
Stacy’s room and master bath: how “suite” it is
Stacy shared what she would like to see from the renovated space: “I would like to feel safe, comforted, a sense of peace. I would like my children to feel that they are starting over in a happy place.”
George knew her room needed personalized attention to get it right, so enter Tailored Living! George explains, “We brought in my good friend, Jay Feingold, who has an expert’s vision for new Tailored Living built-ins. With Tailored Living it’s all custom; built to who the family is, who the people are.” Jay maximized the space for Stacy, focusing on her specific needs. “I got a really good insight into what she wanted and how much space she needed for hanging, for shoes …” When Stacy saw her new bedroom suite, she said she could sense the warmth, comfort, and love that were brought into the room.
- A custom closet organization system transformed one entire wall, including tiered hanging, multiple drawers, glass-inset doors, enclosed cabinets, and a posh lighted vanity area, with decorative hardware to match other accessories in the room
- The ceiling was vaulted, the bathroom enlarged, and a stylish barn door was installed to replace the conventional door, creating a master suite
- Energy-efficient cellular shades provide light and privacy control; the color, Columba Lotus, perfectly coordinates with the cool neutrals color scheme
- White 2” faux wood blinds, moisture- and sun-resistant, were installed in the master bath
- An industrial chic bedroom set and accessories replaced heavy wood furniture, and the updated gray, beige and white color scheme create a serene, calm setting
Noah is an avid sports fan, a bond that he shared with his dad. GTTR sent the family on a day trip to meet the Brooklyn Nets and Noah amazed them with his ability to shoot baskets. He came away with a “Lopez 11” signed jersey that will be part of his new room’s décor until he grows into it.
- To keep the room uncluttered, the perfect kid’s closet design was installed by Tailored Living to handle clothes, shoes, hats and jackets
- A new loft bed increased his living space with a desk and storage underneath; a matching dresser in a modern gray-wash finish gives the room a totally-boy look that he won’t outgrow any time soon
- 2” white faux wood blinds perfectly set off the blue walls and white trim with child-safe cordless lift and wand tilt operation to control light and privacy
- Sports memorabilia is the room’s theme, with a basketball hoop on the back of the bedroom door so Noah can practice shooting hoops
Emma is a dancer and Stacy calls her, “a brightness of sunshine in my life.” She entertained everyone with cartwheels and does pretend shows for her family. Emma declares that Grandpa Gary can do anything a kid can do, including magic tricks.
- A custom closet organization system geared to Emma’s age and wardrobe needs will help her keep her new room neat and clean
- Classic white faux wood blinds with custom valances beautifully dress both windows and cordless operation allows Emma to control privacy and light in her room
- Transitioning from little girl’s room to budding ballerina studio, a mirror and ballet barre will help her to perfect her pirouettes and arabesques
- New white bedroom set and vanity are stunning with the pink ceiling and a fluffy, multi-colored rug in hot pink and green
With Spring in the air, it’s the perfect time to rethink your space and do some renovations to make your home more comfortable for your own family. Tailored Living offers innovative organizational solutions for the whole home ranging from closets, home offices and pantries to garage cabinets, custom garage flooring and much more. Call 866-641-8958 (US) or 866-973-8221 (CAN) today to schedule a free, in-home consultation or go online to www.tailoredliving.com to find a designer near you.
Check out all the renovations in the Lederman home and share the heartwarming reveal by watching the full episode of George to the Rescue featuring Tailored Living and Budget Blinds by clicking here.