Most of our homes could stand some de-cluttering (completely removing items we never use), but that still leaves all those things we do use, off and on or seasonally, that we want to keep but just don’t seem to have room for. Wouldn’t it be nice to have enough space so that everything is more organized and accessible all year long?
For instance, how many of the following items actually have a permanent space in your home where you’ll always find them?
- Christmas dishes
- Halloween costumes/decorations
- Holiday linens and décor pieces
- Gift wrapping supplies
- Rain gear, jackets and boots
- Winter coats, hats and gloves
- Bathing suits and beach towels
- Gardening/ handyman tools
Organizing for specific storage needs will maximize your whole home space and save time and money by not having to hunt for what’s been misplaced, or by replacing what you simply can’t find when you need it. (Oh yes, this happens–just think “umbrella.”)
Garage Organization Captures Underutilized Space
Most garages are a wealth of space that most homes don’t take advantage of. Generally, the garage is relegated to car, yard and sports stuff when, in reality, it can provide storage for so much more. A Tailored Living® garage organization system that uses overhead and vertical storage can accommodate large objects like bicycles, skateboards, golf clubs or skis by getting them up off the floor with a system of hooks and racks designed for utility and safety.
A combination of enclosed cabinets and open shelving can provide space for boxes of seasonal decorations, arts and crafts supplies, auto care products, beach/pool toys or anything that needs to move out of the house. Gridwall Racks can accommodate large and small tools and gardening implements with ease and you’ll be able to find them when needed.
All this will even leave room to park a car or two, depending on your garage size.
Here are some general tips for successful garage storage:
- Breakables should be carefully wrapped
- Plastic, see-through bins let you see what’s inside
- Accurately label each container
- Group storage bins or boxes together by season or function
- Use as many same-size, stackable containers as possible to maximize space
- Largest and heaviest containers on the bottom; lightest on top
- Don’t overload bins; dropping a heavy box of dishes or glassware can spoil your day
- Plastic containers with lids repel moisture, rodents and insects, the nemeses of any storage
If you want to explore maximizing your garage space, a Tailored Living organization specialist is available to help. Call (866) 641-8958 (US) or (866) 973-8221 (CAN) today to schedule a free, in-home consultation or go online to www.tailoredliving.com to find an organization specialist near you. From maximizing your garage to customizing closets, pantries or laundry rooms we can offer solutions custom tailored to your space and budget needs.