Every year end, all eyes turn to the color experts for what hues will be trending in the New Year. Leading the way is the Pantone Color Institute’s Spring Fashion Color Trend Report for New York Fashion Week. They release the color palette that will drive fashion for the next 12 months, ultimately choosing one color to be the Color of the Year, encompassing wardrobe as well as home décor trends. This year, Pantone’s Color of the year is Ultra Violet, a “dramatically provocative and thoughtful purple shade.”
Using color for a totally new look
Tailored Living® is dedicated to helping people love their homes more by maximizing space as well as comfort. Our innovative, whole home storage and organization solutions can change your life, creating order and calm out of chaos. In this new, relaxed state of mind, you can focus on meaningfully coloring your world. New paint colors are the quickest way to freshen up a room, and then add colorful accessories to contrast or coordinate.
- Light colors make small rooms and spaces like closets and pantries feel bigger.
- Light colors reflect light in rooms with little or no natural light.
- Create a more intimate feel by using dark colors in a large room or open area.
- Ceiling color can give the illusion of greater height if lighter than the wall color, or appear lower if darker than the wall color.
- Add a touch of black to ground the color scheme and give a room depth.
- Neutral color palettes are soothing and the perfect backdrop for colorful accessories and mixed textures like cushy throws and bright metallic accents.
- Mix and match different patterns in the same color family, staying with three or four colors in a room.
More Colors of the Year for 2018
Ultra Violet is only one of the top colors for 2018. Major paint companies also name their own choices for color of the year, giving you a wider palette to choose from to stay on-trend with home fashion evolution. Paint experts, Dunn-Edwards, Glidden, Benjamin Moore, Sherwin-Williams, Olympic Paint and Behr offer a range of colors that take a step back from the pastels of recent years.
Glidden, Benjamin Moore and Olympic see 2018 as the year to go bold, from statement making Deep Onyx and Black Magic to the energetic and passionate red of Caliente.
- If your entryway needs a boost, Caliente may be the answer for a memorable welcome. It’s charismatic, radiant and full of energy.
- The Deep Onyx accent wall makes all the other furnishings in the room stand out. A strong neutral that pairs well, it can be the backdrop for any color schemes.
- Contrasting Black Magic furniture and white cushions create drama in this sunroom and invite colorful accessories.
Dunn-Edwards, Sherwin-Williams and Behr opt for a more tranquil year with scrumptious colors, drawing from back-to-nature blues and greens with The Green Hour, Oceanside and In the Moment.
- The Green Hour on your walls creates a mellow mood, adding color and calm to a living room or bedroom, the grayed blue-green intensity changing as the light changes.
- Oceanside brings a deeper dimension of color that can enhance any design style from mid-century modern to Mediterranean-inspired and traditional to contemporary. It’s perfectly at home in a formal dining room or in a seaside cottage.
- In the Moment is Behr’s fresh, comfortable shade of green that evokes a sense of sanctuary and relaxation. It invites you to live in the moment, taking a refreshing break from the demands of a busy schedule.
Reinvent your space in the New Year
So are you inspired to give your home a 2018 color makeover?
- Paint the ceilings something other than white.
- Let the kids paint one accent wall in their bedrooms whatever color they want.
- Enliven your closet with a new wall color.
- Make your entryway an awesome entrance to your home.
You may find that color updates are not quite enough for a New Year, New Look. Tailored Living can help you maximize every room in your home with storage and organization solutions to make every day a new adventure. Turn that guest bedroom into a home office, but with a Murphy Bed so it can still be guest-friendly when needed. Customize your newly-painted “In the Moment” laundry room with custom cabinets, shelves and pull-out hampers so doing laundry is quicker and easier.
As whole home organization specialists, we can help with every area of your home and garage so you can start the New Year right! Call 866-641-8958 (US) or 866-973-8221 (CAN) today to schedule a free, in-home consultation or go online to www.tailoredliving.com to find a designer near you.
If you’re still trying to factor Ultra Violet into your New Year color scheme but it’s a bit of a challenge, maybe looking to your garden will help. Check out Top 10 Purple Plants for Your Flower Garden and keep fragrant purple bouquets in every room.