The end of June marks the midway point in the year. Tailored Living® would like to ask if getting organized was one of your New Year’s Resolutions and, if so, are you organized yet? Yes, it’s a rather personal question, but how would you answer?
- Yes, I am organized
- I am somewhat organized
- Organization and I don’t get along
- New Year’s Resolutions are made to be broken
- None of your business
Summer is here, the kids are home from school and there are tons of activities to plan and do. If you are a naturally organized person, juggling everything will be relatively easy with organized closets, a tidy pantry, functional laundry room and user-friendly garage. But if organization was not in your gene pool, the increased pace and demands of summer can be overwhelming. It may feel like there is too much to do, but maybe part of the problem is just a lack of organization.
What’s Your Organizing Personality?
Take this quick quiz from the National Association of Professional Organizers and see how you measure up organizationally.
- When family and friends come to visit, you feel:
- Pretty good. You’re happy to have guests to your home, even if they drop by unannounced.
- You love having people over, but sometimes have to clear away clutter so they can sit down.
- You visit other people at their homes rather than let them see your clutter.
- The garage:
- Is an organized space that serves its purpose well.
- Your car fits, but everything else is a mess.
- You have everything but the kitchen sink (and your car) in there.
- If you needed to locate stamps, you’d find them:
- Organized in your bill paying center, where you keep the checkbook, bills, and envelopes.
- You know you bought some a few weeks ago … now where are they?
- You have to run to the post office each time you need a stamp.
- When looking at the amount of “stuff” you own:
- You feel content. You get rid of anything that isn’t useful, beautiful, or loved.
- You have some clutter you don’t need or want, but don’t know where to start.
- You have so much “stuff” that you can’t find what you need when you need it.
- In your purse, you’ll find:
- Wallet, lipstick, comb, keys and other essentials.
- All of the above, plus old receipts, crumpled tissues, ticket stubs, and cracker crumbs.
- All of the above, plus more. It weighs so much you get a backache lugging it around.
- When you look for your keys:
- You know right where they are—they go in the same place every day.
- You toss them down when you get home; they sometimes get lost in a mound of clutter.
- One day you spent an hour looking for your keys but found your lost eyeglasses instead.
- When paying bills:
- You have a set spot for bills and pay them twice a month.
- You make a few trips around the house to locate stamps, bills, and checkbook.
- You usually pay them when you receive the second or third “past due” notice.
- Reflecting on your day:
- You enjoyed some private time to do yoga, enjoy a cup of tea, or quietly read.
- You have so much going on, that you were barely able to read this quiz.
- You spend so much time attending to everyone else you don’t leave any time for yourself.
- If a friend peeked in your closet, she’d discover:
- An organized and useful wardrobe. If you haven’t worn something in a year, you give it away.
- You love to shop and your closet is packed full, but you don’t have the patience to clear it out.
- You never use the closet; your clothes are in piles around the bedroom.
- At the end of the day, you feel:
- Satisfied; you could see the big picture and accomplished many things in an efficient manner.
- You got a lot done, but missed some “big picture” tasks and hope to get going tomorrow.
- You gave a lot to everyone else, but need to get yourself organized soon.
Give yourself one point for every A, two points for every B and three points for every C. Check your total below and see how you fared:
- 1-11 points: You’re totally on top of everything
- 12-20 points: You have some doubts about your current organizational style
- 21-30 points: Your state of disorganization is costing you time and money
Six months to get organized
If you find yourself in the 12-to-30 points range, no worries, you still have six months to get organized and make good on your New Year’s Resolution! There are subtle organization tips buried in the quiz, but Tailored Living can help with innovative storage and organization solutions for every room in your house. You don’t have to try to ferret out pearls of wisdom, your local Tailored Living designer is expert with space design and happy to share that expertise with you, including closet storage systems, kitchen pantries, laundry rooms, home offices, garage storage cabinets, entertainment centers, Murphy Beds and more.
We can maximize your living space, building in convenience, function and style so that getting you and your family organized will be easier than you ever imagined. Having a place for everything and refusing to let clutter accumulate will revolutionize your home. These two little house rules will go a long way to eliminating clutter:
- Pick up after yourself
- Put it where it goes … now
If you’re feeling overwhelmed and lost in your own home, call 866-641-8958 (US) or 866-973-8221 (CAN) today to schedule a free, in-home consultation or go online to www.tailoredliving.com to find a designer near you. They can help you determine a plan for getting your whole home organized and de-cluttered and getting you de-stressed. They’ll bring samples of styles, colors and finishes right into your living room so you’ll be able to match any projects to your existing décor for a seamless, professional look throughout. Scroll through our online Design Solutions Guide and see just how beautiful organization can be.