Tip One: transform your garage into functional living spaceGarages are often overlooked for anything but storage. But most garages hide in plain sight available living space that can be turned into something wonderful. We have helped thousands of families capture valuable space in their garages with storage and organization solutions customized to the way they live. Custom garage storage cabinets, shelves and Slatwall storage systems can store everything in your garage, getting it all up off the floor and freeing up space for other uses that are much more fun.
- Create a Man Cave or extra TV/media room.
- Set up game tables for air hockey, foosball, pool, or ping pong.
- Incorporate an efficient workbench for home improvement tasks or auto maintenance.
- Keep sports equipment handy and organized.
- Section off a home gym or yoga/Pilates workout area.
- Make a family hobby center with storage for everyone’s projects.
- A barbeque crowd can happily spill over into a garage fully stocked with drinks and snacks and comfortable space to hang out.
- Setting up game tables takes the party “outside” with plenty of room to move around.
- Seating and tables can create a picnic or party atmosphere or provide a change of pace from eating inside.
- In bad weather, the kids can get out of the house for games or movies in the garage.
Tip Two: create a natural flow to the deck or patioWith indoor/outdoor spaces side by side, all you have to do is blur the lines between the two. With a patio or deck right off a kitchen, dining room or family room, it’s easy to seamlessly blend the indoors and outdoors.
- Uncover sliding glass doors so that, visually, the spaces are connected. Use window coverings that can be pulled to the side, completely out of the way.
- If you’re planning to replace windows or doors, French doors can be a beautiful alternative.
- Unclutter the deck or patio so it’s more inviting. Paint or re-stain any dingy surfaces to restore original beauty. For a worn floor, PremierTrax garage floor tiles are a quick upgrade, durable and safe for children to play on, and they stay cooler and cleaner than wood, stone or concrete.
- Add custom cabinets and storage benches to match indoor cabinetry, with handy storage to control clutter. Extend your indoor color scheme outdoors with coordinating accent pieces and weather-resistant fabrics on patio chairs and lounges.
- Build cabinets and countertops around an existing barbeque, creating an efficient outdoor kitchen. Add a small refrigerator to hold drinks, and you’re ready for an iced tea break or an afternoon devoted to relaxing.
Tip Three: don’t let the sun get in your eyesOutdoor fun always involves sunshine, but you need the right balance of sun and shade for a comfortable day outside. A patio cover provides shade, but sunny spots can “move” during the day, making sun-exposed areas uncomfortable. Awnings, exterior screens, solar shades, adjustable patio umbrellas, and indoor/outdoor-fabric curtains are all options to keep your spaces cool and family and pets protected from the sun’s UV rays and too much heat.
Tip Four: give your pool the resort treatmentExtend the comforts of the patio to the pool area by providing lounges, chairs, tables, and portable umbrellas. Swimmers can take a break but stay close to the water, enjoying a cool drink and a comfortable spot. A poolside cabana will keep extra towels handy and provide privacy to change out of wet bathing suits without tracking water into the house. Converting an outdoor shed to a useful poolside cabana is easy with custom storage solutions like shelves, hooks, and cubbies.
- Cabinets, cubbies, and hooks turn a simple shed into a functional cabana for guests to change into their suits and stow their gear.
- A storage bench provides seating as well as storage for pool toys, extra towels, and sun hats.
- During the off-season, store the patio furniture and cushions inside to prevent weather damage.