Do you consider yourself an organized person? What do you think that would look like in real life?
Organized actually means orderly and efficient, not necessarily OCD! Whatever lifestyle you live, single, pet parent, or a busy family with lots of stuff, organization can be the driving force to keep you in control of your environment, as well as more relaxed and on time for everything.
Follow our “day in the life of an organized person” and see which organization tips could make your life less stressful. As the largest whole-home storage and organization franchise in the country, Tailored Living® can help you go calmly from one organized day to the next with custom home organization ideas for closets, garages, home offices, pantries, laundry rooms and more.
An organized day starts the night before
One major step toward an organized day is planning ahead. However on your calendar — on your phone, iPad or a paper appointment book (for Dentist Chattanooga as an example, you don’t wanna be late for your Dentist appointment!) — look ahead to the next day so there are no surprises. You’d be amazed at the things you can do in advance to make the next day go more smoothly.
- Get cash at the ATM and fill the car with gas
- Recharge your phone if it has low battery
- Pack lunches in advance
- Set out clothes for the next day, including shoes and accessories
- Assemble what you need for meetings, work, birthdays or social events (locating the card and wrapping a present in the morning is guaranteed to set you back big time!)
- Put purse, briefcase, car keys, phone and all else together in the entryway or other exit point
All these little tasks left to the morning can add up to an inordinate amount of time, making you late and creating a disastrous chain reaction…“catch-up” driving and the real morning spoiler of a traffic ticket!
The organized morning
Mornings consist of routines, and it’s not uncommon to be up at least 15 minutes before you’re awake! For many people, a shower or that first cup of coffee signals total consciousness. Being organized helps your morning routines unfold effortlessly, keeping you on track and on time.
- Alarm goes off at a consistent time.
- Pets will demand their own morning routine of feeding, walking or going outside.
- Showering and getting ready are seamless since all shampoos, lotions, hair gels and makeup essentials are available. (Hint, hint…)
- A closet organization system helps you dress better and faster when you can see what’s in the closet and you know exactly where each garment or accessory is.
- You’ll have what you need for breakfast on hand, or have built into your routine the time necessary to swing by your favorite coffee house.
- With everything you need assembled the night before, you don’t lose time looking for keys, cell phone or change in the couch cushions; you just scoop it all up and you’re out the door!
Organization lets you roll with the punches
Days don’t always go as planned. Meetings cancel, problems arise, family issues come up, or even an extra-special opportunity presents itself. Anyone of these can send a day into a tailspin, but an organized lifestyle can often save the day by having what you need where you need it.
- Have current car registration and insurance verification in the glove box.
- Same for dry cleaning claim checks or lottery tickets; keep them in the car so they’re handy.
- Keep medical insurance cards with you, not buried in a drawer at home.
- Have current contact information in your phone for the important people in your life, including doctors, kids’ friends, school office, associates, babysitter, etc.
- Cash on hand eliminates using cards for minor purchases like an iced latte, and saves the day if your only option for refreshment is a vending machine.
The organized evening
An especially enjoyable perk to being organized is coming home to a serene environment at the end of the day. Clutter and chaos is a good recipe for a headache instead of a restful night. Instituting organizational habits for every day keeps all of life from becoming messy and overwhelming.
- Deposit keys, purse and such in their designated place such as the entryway, a home office or bedroom. As other family members do the same, your home stays tidy.
- Your organized pantry with labelled shelves, jars and bins makes dinner preparation quick and easy or, if it’s time to grocery shop, you can tell at a glance what you need.
- The empty dishwasher (a.k.a., the dishes have been put away) makes after-dinner cleanup quick since dishes can go directly into the dishwasher.
- A custom entertainment centre keeps the family room uncluttered and ready for quality time with all remotes, books, movies and games organized.
- Before bed, go through the checklist at the beginning to be better prepared for the morning.
An organized home for an organized life
If your days don’t follow the blissful pattern of an organized person and you’d like to become more organized, Tailored Living can certainly help. We are the experts at maximizing your living space by capturing storage space you never knew you had and getting your home beautifully organized with custom storage solutions, including closet storage systems, home office organization, pantry and laundry room design, garage storage cabinets and custom garage flooring.
Call 866-641-8958 (US) or 866-973-8221 (CAN) today to schedule a FREE, in-home consultation or go online to www.tailoredliving.com to find a designer near you. Scroll through our online Design Solutions Guide for dozens of home organization tips for every room in the house!